August 9, 1963 – February 11, 2012
Place of Birth: Newark, New Jersey
Height: 5′ 8″
Siblings: Gary Garland Houston and Michael Houston
Favorite Color: Lavender
Favorite Cereal: Fruity Pebbles
Favorite Chore: Vacuuming
Favorite Subject: History
Favorite Actress: Jessica Lange
Favorite Actor: Robert De Niro
Favorite restaurant in her town, Mendham, N.J.: China Gourmet
– Whitney’s daughter, Bobbi Kristina, was born on March 4, 1993.
– Whitney was married on July 18, 1992 to singer Bobby Brown. She filed for divorce in October 2006, and the divorce was finalized in April 2007. Whitney was awarded custody of Bobbi Kristina, while Brown was given visitation rights.
– Whitney’s middle name is her grandmother’s name.
– Whitney was named after a character on a 1960’s U.S. soap opera.
– Whitney’s nickname, Nippy, was given to her by her father, John Houston, when she was a baby. “Nippy” was a cartoon character who was always getting into trouble. As baby Whitney kept kicking off her winter blanket, her father kept covering her again, and thought, “Nippy, seldom right.”
– Cissy Houston, Whitney’s mother, is a reknowned singer and background vocalist, having added her special touch to famous recordings by artists including Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield and Bette Midler, as well as touring with Elvis Presley as part of the “Sweet Inspirations.”
– Cissy is still the choir director at the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, N.J., where Whitney honed her craft under her mother’s guidance.
– Whitney sang “Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah” as her solo choir debut at age eleven.
– Dionne Warwick is Whitney’s cousin. They recorded at duet entitled “Love Will Find A Way” on Dionne’s album, “Friends Can Be Lovers.”
– Aretha Franklin is Whitney’s godmother. They are not related. Whitney and Aretha recorded the duet “It Isn’t It Wasn’t It Ain’t Never Gonna Be” in 1988 for Aretha’s album, “Through The Storm.”
– Whitney appeared in commercials for Diet Coke and AT&T, as well as Sanyo in Japan.
– Whitney had eleven No. 1 singles on the Billboard Hot 100. She is the only artist to have seven consecutive No. 1’s on that chart, and is the first woman to ever debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart.
– Whitney’s “I Will Always Love You” from “The Bodyguard” soundtrack is the best selling commercial single in history, and the biggest selling record by a female solo artist. The song also is the longest-running No. 1 single by a female solo artist, residing at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 for 14 weeks.
– Whitney was a member of the Board of Directors of the American Red Cross, elected in 1991.
– Whitney had six world tours and two territorial (*) tours, besides performing numerous concerts in between her tours:
Greatest Love World Tour 1986
Moment Of Truth World Tour 1987-1988
I’m Your Baby Tonight World Tour 1991
The Bodyguard World Tour 1993-1994
*The Pacific Rim Tour 1997
*The European Tour 1998
My Love Is Your Love World Tour 1999
Nothing But Love World Tour 2010
– Whitney has sold more than 55 million albums in the United States, and more than 170 million records worldwide.
– “The Bodyguard” is the world’s biggest selling soundtrack with over 42 million units sold. It also ranks as the best selling album of the 1990s, and the best selling album by a female artist. The largest initial certification of any album by the RIAA was for “The Bodyguard,” whose first certification was for sales of over 6 million copies. It was also the first pop album in Korea to sell 1 million copies.
– Whitney had 14 gold singles in the United States, behind only Janet Jackson and Madonna among female artists.
– Whitney was the first female artist to have two diamond albums (as of January 1994, both Whitney Houston and The Bodyguard were over 10x platinum).
– Whitney was one of only two female artists to have three albums sell over 9 million copies each in the United States: “Whitney Houston,” “Whitney,” and “The Bodyguard.”
– In the 1990s, Whitney Houston was the best-selling soundtrack artist in the United States, with her three soundtracks selling more than 27 million copies throughout the decade.
– “The Preacher’s Wife” soundtrack is the best selling gospel album of all time, with sales of more than 3 million copies in the United States and 5 million copies worldwide.
– Whitney’s 1991 Superbowl rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner” is the only version to be certified platinum.
– Whitney holds the record for highest one-week single sales by a female artist, as 632,000 copies of “I Will Always Love You” were sold in the final week of December 1992.
– “Exhale (Shoop Shoop)” was the third single ever to debut at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 (and the second single by a female artist.) After spending one week at No. 1, “Exhale (Shoop Shoop)” spent the next 11 weeks at No. 2, making it the longest No. 2 run in Hot 100 history.
– The Bodyguard sold 1 million copies in the final week of 1992. At that time, it set a record for the most albums sold in a single week. The record was broken six years later.
– Whitney’s albums have spent 51 weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, more than any other female artist.
– Whitney’s “I Look To You” album, which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, has been certified platinum for 1 million copies sold in the United States to date.
– Whitney had the longest stay at No. 1 on the Billboard Top Gospel Albums Chart, where “The Preacher’s Wife” soundtrack remained at the top for 26 weeks.
– Whitney won 22 American Music Awards, more than any other female solo artist, and second only to Michael Jackson.
– Whitney won a record of eight American Music Awards for “The Bodyguard” soundtrack in 1994. She is tied only with Michael Jackson, who won eight AMAs for “Thriller” at the 1984 ceremony.
– Whitney is the only artist with at least one Grammy, American Music Award, Emmy, MTV Video Music Award, MTV Movie Award, People’s Choice Award, and Billboard Music Award to their name.
Taken from http://www.whitney-fan.com/persona/facts.php
- Remembering Whitney Houston With a Look Back at Her Life in Pictures (popsugar.com)
- A Tribute To The Voice: Whitney Houston (soundtracksofteki.wordpress.com)
- Remembering Whitney Houston: Listen to the Singer’s Eleven No. 1 Songs [Video] (inquisitr.com)